About the Site
Ancient Egypt: the Mythology is dedicated to providing the most detailed and accurate information about the gods, goddesses and religious beliefs of the ancient Egyptian people.
If you have any questions about the site itself, please keep reading.
Actually, the title "All-Around Site Goddess" would probably be more appropriate. This site is designed and maintained by April McDevitt. She lives in South Carolina in the United States. She began "Ancient Egypt: the Mythology" (AE:tM) as a project for her community college HTML class in early 1997 and it has blossomed from there.
Why Egyptian mythology? Believe it or not, because in the sixth grade her class studied ancient Egypt for a month. For some reason she can not even remember now, she kept every handout her teacher gave her. Seven years later, it ended up being an easy source of reference material to begin a web site with. Some of these handouts are still online in the Land section. Of course, the real reason for picking Egyptian mythology is because it is a very interesting topic. Furthermore, there were no other sites on the Internet that provided any type of in-depth information about the subject. Even today, AE:tM remains the only web site online that has detailed information about the gods and goddesses of Ancient Egypt and features complete myths.
By the way, she got an "A+" in her community college class.
For more information about the author, please check out her blog. (This is a personal blog that is not related to Egyptian mythology and may not be suitable for all ages.)
If you link to this page:
- Please let us know ! The author would like to keep you updated if the site changes servers again and send you the new URL.
- Please let the author know what the URL of your web site is!
- If you do link to the site, please use it's title, "Ancient Egypt: the Mythology".
- Be aware that 1 & 2 are not required if you link to this site, just requests.
If you would like your site linked to "Ancient Egypt: the Mythology": Your site must be about ancient Egypt, Egyptology or ancient Egyptian mythology. It should be clean (no broken links, missing images, misspellings, etc) and be more than just a list of links (unless it is a very comprehensive list). If you feel your site matches this criteria, e-mail your link.
All graphics were created by April McDevitt. All HTML was coded by April McDevitt using Notepad, HomeSite, or Dreamweaver.
For a complete listing of all reference materials used in creating this site, please visit this site's online bookstore. Every book listed was a reference for this site.
All information and graphics, unless otherwise specified, are the work of April McDevitt and is not to be reproduced in any form unless given written permission by the author. If you have any questions about the use of any information or graphic found on this site, please contact the author.
Ah, remember the late '90s when every website yearned for the coveted "Cool Site of the Day" award? Well, we never got that one, but before website awards became a Web 1.0 cliché, Ancient Egypt: the Mythology received the following awards and recognition.
- The Corkankhamun Award for Excellent Sites about Egypt (7/18/97)
- The Faerie Twilight Award (7/22/97)
- The Cool Central Site of the Hour (7/23/97)
- A Project Cool Sighting (7/23/97)
- Best of the Web, Gold Award (8/18/97)
- Top 10% Award for Design Excellence (8/18/97)
- The Clio Award of Creativity (8/20/97)
- The Circle of Muses Award of Inspiration (8/27/97)
- Web Trips Rockin' Site of the Week (9/9/97)
- Cool Bananas Site of the Day (11/26/97)
"When you compare the "historic locations" of other countries to Egypt they tend to lack quite a bit. Right now though Egypt may not be your first choice for a visit (attacks on tourists can do that), but you're in luck. The internet is home to one of the best sites about Egypt and all it's glory. Ancient Egypt: The Mythology is a great site all about those gods of the Nile. Anubis has always been a personal favorite of ZuggBugg and Isis a favorite of Ziggster. You'll find alot of information here in an easy to use and easy to follow format!"
- Amanda's Bomb Page Award (12/4/97)
- JP's Web Pick of the Week (5/20/98)
- Suite101.com Recommended Site (5/24/98)
"Fascinating site. Lots of information and detailed versions of the myths. Great Work!"
- Critical Mass Award (5/25/98)
"A very nice site, excellent design, beautiful original graphics, and your content is informative, entertaining, presented well and easy to access. A worthy enterprise and a positive contribution to the Web."
- Suite101.com Top Five Site (6/1/98)
Awarded by Nikole Didier, contributing editor for Ancient Egypt.
- Suite101.com Top Five Site (6/1/98)
Awarded by Mary Ellen Bradshaw, contributing editor for Virtual Journeys.
- Guestworld's Guestbook Pick of the Moment (12/21/98)
- Cyber-Teddy's Top 500 Web Site (1/27/2000)
- 13th Street's Spotlight Site of the Week (5/3/2001)
Ancient Egypt: the Mythology was also featured on CNN Headline News on July 29, 1997.